When you are invited to a formal event, take a good look at your invitation. Does it say black tie? If so, you are going to need a tuxedo and a black tie. However, if the event isn’t specific on the attire, only that it must be formal, you will need to wear a black or dark blue tailored suit.
This second type of formal event may be strict with the majority of your wardrobe, but it does allow for a little wiggle room and the addition of some fantastic accessories to show off your style, tastes, and personality. However, your accessory choices should be the right ones in order to correctly capture the room’s attention. Choose poorly, and you could end up looking like a new employee at his first office party.
Accessories to Wear with Formal Attire
- Ties- Ties are one of the most essential pieces of formal accessories you can wear, but the wrong one can make you set you apart from the crowd like a bad haircut. When adding style and class to your wardrobe, always remember the key is to be subtle. A muted blue, silver, or solid black tie is the safest bet when you are trying to compliment your outfit. Add a spare stripe or subtle pattern and you give your attire just enough personality to stand out from the crowd.
- Belt- With any suit, a basic leather belt is a must. Don’t use your every-day belt, however. The belt you wear into the office has most likely already showing signs of years of overuse. Invest in a high quality leather belt you can reserve for special occasions where you need to wear your formal attire.
- Handkerchief- One of the easiest ways to add colour to your outfit is by using a handkerchief. However, make sure to consider the occasion before you inject that colour. When in doubt, always choose a gray, dark blue, or white handkerchief, and be careful not to over-fold it to give it a natural look.
- Cufflinks- A cufflink is the only accessory you can truly be bold with. Add a splash of panache to your outfit by wearing custom cufflink designs. Custom cufflinks add a personal touch to your attire that is one-of-a-kind and truly shows off your personality. These cufflinks also allow you to add a bit of colour to your ensemble that is subtle, but able to help you stand out from the crowd and draw the attention of everyone when you enter the room.
- Tie Clip- The majority of modern men don’t even both using a tie clip, although it can add a bit of style to any outfit and actually serves a purpose. A tie clip can keep your tie in place while you are standing and prevent your tie from slipping into your food while you are eating; both essential when you are invited to a formal dinner party.
Accessories for your suit can help you become more confident in your formal attire, changing the way you act and feel. Create a complete look with the right engraveable cufflinks, tie clip, tie, and handkerchief and set yourself apart from the rest of the room.